Monday, September 9, 2013

Adventures in Granola Bar Making


A couple of weeks ago at work, I happened to look at the wrapper of the granola bar I was enjoying. I checked out the ingredient list and saw a few things I wasn't sure about. One was high maltose corn syrup, which is similar to high fructose corn syrup but it's less sweet and is processed differently. Either way, it's still a processed corn product, and along with all of the other processed ingredients in the granola bar, it made me wonder if there's a better way to bring healthier, filling snacks with me to work. 


I did some searching and found a ton of homemade granola bar recipes online! One in particular appealed to me because it contained chocolate and natural ingredients. Plus it's as easy as mix together in a bowl and bake! So we tried it out, and Mike and I both love these bars!! We've made them twice now, and I'm sure we'll make them again. Check out the recipe here on My Humble Kitchen.


The recipe calls for 1/3 cup of whole wheat pastry flour, which I couldn't find in the store. So instead I used half whole wheat flour and half all purpose flour to make up the 1/3 cup. It seems to work quite well. We also used dried cranberries instead of dried cherries since they were less expensive, and most recently we just used chocolate chips instead of cutting up a chocolate bar. I think walnuts would also be good in these bars. Basically, the possibilities are endless, and we are now hooked on making our own granola bars!


Have you tried making your own granola bars before? What's your favorite recipe?

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious!! I hate how much food is processed. I'll have to give these a try sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO good! I agree, it's nice to find alternatives to processed foods. I hope you do and that you enjoy them :)

      Delete